SHOPKINS
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Monday, April 18, 2005

ok well nadine is going to pressure me back into the habit of blogging!

so i will share this snipit from the trade justice vigil friday night:

"Live simply
give out everything
become poor yourself"
From the reading of The Fever read by Vanessa Redgrave

I dont know I have been pondering those words and I realize that really I dont want to become poor. There are still things I desire. Even as I move further and further away from a real career or having a real income, there are still things I want. I was driving back from seeing my cousing last week and my prayer to god was for some new clothes. How ridiculous when the majority of the world lives on less than £1 a day.

But then how do you balance that with not coming under the spirit of poverty and receiving the gifts or land or territory that God wants to give you. And how people talk about the pleasure that God gets in giving. And I have been living in this place of learning to receive over the last 2 years and rejecting false humility.

I dont know.. the whole of the Christian life is a life of tension... and I am no good at balance.

Anyway.. it is almost 2:30 and I have no idea why I am wide awake!
[6:20 PM] 4 comments

 

4 Comments:

Ow Shannon...

When inequalities are so great it is easy to bash ourselves over the head for what we are not doing. And in the process we get stunned and disheartened.

But God is not a killjoy! There is nothing unholy about wanting to buy new clothes! He might have things to say about the amount we spend and whether we are ever satisfied with what we have... but I think hes much more likely to be saying 'Yahoo! Shannon gave up an evening to be at a vigil. She is thinking about what clothes to buy. Woohoo! Isn't she great?'

Know that you are precious, shannon.

J

By Anonymous joe, at 12:21 AM  

sorry for my english- but i like to say:
yes there are every time two sides- its also okay to buy some new clothes and take sorrow for your body, because its the tempel of the holy spirit!! I agree with unknown joe, think god is smiling because you think about stuff like that and try to do it right.
and also every circusguy on the rope has a time of learning balance and then training to hold it and become better. do your littel steps and by the way and with god you will come more and more into it. remember noah and his kind of walking ;o)- now his running!!

By Blogger Blogschokolade, at 12:01 PM  

Hi Shannon

I haven't visited your blog before - Derek mentioned you to me.

I just want to really encourage you. You just being at the vigil on Friday night spoke absolute VOLUMES.

The trade legislations of Europe/U.S are literally killing those in the developing world. They're not asking for handouts/favours - just equal trading rights. How are they expected to compete with our western subsidies?

So, this is why it is so important to protest.

Jesus sees what is happening and weeps. But he sees people like you and just cheers. You're a Queen - and every now and then you deserve new clothes....

Lisa
Brighton (if you're down our way - pop in)

By Blogger lisa c, at 9:15 AM  

maybe this is bad theology, but when the Bible talks about God giving us good things -- two things come to mind. 1. are we after what God is going to give us, or God himself? and 2. aren't the real gifts when God gives us himself? I've learned that Judah would rather have our time and attention than all the toys in the world.

And it's not like you're going to go out and buy ridiculously expensive clothing for yourself. I've actually been thinking about this lately when I want new clothes -- i should go to goodwill or buffalo exchange -- it's cheaper, it's still new for me, it's much more unique, there's less stress on the environment, and it's a socially responsible choice - i don't have to worry about supporting poverty by wading through different company's ethics.

I love you girl -- just thinking about this issue is a hundred steps ahead of the rest of the western christian world.

By Blogger some chick, at 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment